6/13/2011

Subterranean theater of Herculaneum

I visited Herculaneum twice, and both times my camera mall functioned. Or, I only made a very limited amount of pictures because of whatever. Which is a pitty, while the remains of the city are of great splendor and in many aspects more intense than Pompei. At the internet I found this chalk model of the theater of Herculaneum, which was made in 1808.

















In 1711, workers digging a well in a small town of Resina, found three mostly intact marble statues of draped women. Heralding the discovery of ancient Herculaneum, the sculptures are known today as the Large and Small Herculaneum Women. But that is not the topic of this entry.

When they were discovered, the Herculaneum Women were hoisted through a well shaft that led down to the remains of a Roman theater buried 75 feed below the street level of modern Ercolano.

The theater of Herculaneum was the first Roman theater found largely intact. Its grand arcades and polychrome wall paintings influenced a new generation - I learned - of architects, artists, and set designers. This summer, I plan to visit this great site again. And this time I make sure my camera works properly!

The little amount of photo's I took in 2002 and 2004 can be found here!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Most popular posts