7/21/2009

Little bird: Zippori

"Happy is the man who did not go to theaters and to circuses of those who worship the stars": Babylonian Talmud, Avoda Zara 18b.

Although ancient Zippori, Sepphoris or Diocaesarea is situated only 5 kilometers from Nazareth, it took me quite some time lecturing several Arab-Christian taxi drivers about the existence of the site. In which I failed, as being dropped off at the wrong place. I still had to walk several kilometers to get even halfway. Fortunatelly, I was rescued by an Amsterdam rabbi leading a group of tourists, who took me aboard his minibus and transported me to the place to be!


Zippori was a major Roman and Byzantine city. the capital of the Galilee province. The city may get its name from the Hebrew word "tsipor" (bird), because the view from the town gives a sense of flying. The history of the city : .... (to be continued). More pictures? click!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Most popular posts